History of Hengchun

T he ancient names of Hengchun include “Longkiauw”, “Niangjiao” and “Langjiao”.

“Longkiauw” is a phonetic translation from the Dutch, whereas “Niangjiao” and “Langjiao” is a phonetic translation from the language of the Paiwan tribe, referring to the southern region of the forests ouside the area that wan known as the Fengshan County during the Ching Dynaty, as shown in the historic file prepared by the Dutch. There are several explanations for the term “langjiao”, one of which is that it refers to “Lanhua” (orchid) because Hengchun was originally covered with wild Moth Orchids. The second explanation is that the word came from “Bujabujau”, which means “the shark”, because the Hengchun waters were filled with sharks. The third explanation is that “Langjiao” actually came from the word “Ryukyu” (Okinawa). The above explanations all match with the descriptions of the natural sceneries of the Hengchun Peninsula written at that time.

T he word “Hengchun” first appeared in 1874 when the Japanes invasion known as the “Mutan Village Incient” broke out in Hengchun. The Chung government appointed Shen Bao-jen to inspect Langjiao, and Shen Bao-jen described this place as “enjoying the season of eternal spring” (the meaning of “Hengchun” is “eternal spring”). Shen Bao-jen’s request of setting up the Hengchun County Government was then approved, making it the earliest county in Pingtung. At the end of Japanese Occupation, Hengchun County was put under the jurisdiction of Kaohsiun-shiu. In 1950, the KMT government relocated to Taiwan and reorganized the jurisdiction map, and Hengchun County was renamed to Hengchun Township and put under the jurisdiction of Pingtung County.